17 May, 2017
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 4 tsp of baking powder, 1/4 cup of white sugar, 1/4 cup of sour cream, 5 tsp of butter, 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp milk, 1 egg (optional), strawberry jam (optional), clotted cream (optional).
How to Make Scones
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or by rubbing between your fingers until it looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Mix together 1/2 cup milk and sour cream in a measuring cup. Pour into the dry ingredients, and stir gently until well blended.
- With floured hands, cut the dough round into 8 pieces. Place onto a greased baking sheet, and flatten lightly.
- Whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon of milk. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash and let the scones rest for about 10 minutes.
- Now bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Slice each scone in half and serve immediately.