17 July, 2017
Ingredients Of Khasta Kachori
2 cups refined flour, 1/4 cup ghee, Salt to taste, Cold water to mix, Oil for deep-frying
For the filling:
3/4 cup husked black gram-soaked in water for 3-4 hours, 2 Tbsp oil, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/8 tsp asafoetida (heeng), 3/4 tsp garam masala, 3/4 tsp chilli powder, 2 Tbsp powdered fennel seeds, 2 tsp coriander powder, Salt to taste, 1 1/2 tsp mango powder
How to Make Khasta Kachori
- Grind the lentils coarsely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and add the cumin seeds and asafetida.
- When they begin to splutter, add the lentils and the rest of the ingredients, which make up the filling.
- Saute over low heat till the mixture is well fried. It will stop sticking to the pan when done.
- Take mixture off heat and leave to cool.
For the dough:
- Mix in the flour and salt.
- Add the ghee to the flour.
- Make it into a crumbly mixture with the tips of your fingers.
- Add enough water, to make it into a stiffish dough (it should not yield easily when a finger is pressed into it). Cover and leave to rest for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Make marble-sized balls of the lentil mixture (called pithee) wetting your hands as and when necessary to prevent the mixture from sticking to them. Cover with a cloth till ready to fill.
- Make about 20 smooth balls from the dough. Roll them out till 1/4 ” thick (about 5 cms/ 2 in diameter).
- Take one piece of rolled dough and pinch the edge all around, leaving the center thicker.
- Dampen the pressed edges, place a ball of filling in the center and bring wet edges together, covering the filling completely. Press together to seal.
- Place this piece in your palm and with the heal of the other palm, press gently in the center. Flatten a bit with palm first then roll it lightly in a round.
- The kachauris are now ready to be fried. Heat the oil in a kadahi.
- When a piece of dough dropped in oil comes up at once, put in as many kachauris that can fit in; turn over immediately and lower heat to medium.
- Fry them till they all turn an even golden in color; reducing the heat from medium to low.
- Takes about 10 minutes for one side and 7-8 minutes on the other. Remove from oil, drain and place on absorbent paper. Serve hot.