20 January, 2018
Main Ingredients:5 Spinach Leaves (Palak), large or colocasia leaves, cleaned and dried
For the Paste :1-1/2 cups besan, 1/4 cup Whole Wheat flour, 2 tablespoons Yogurt , 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon Jaggery , powdered , 1 teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder) , or 1 teaspoon thick tamarind paste , 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder, 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing), 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala powder, 1/2 teaspoon Red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon Ginger , paste , 1 tablespoon Cooking oil, Salt , to taste
For the Seasoning:1 teaspoon Sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds, 4 Curry leaves, 1 tablespoon Cooking oil, 2 tablespoons Fresh coconut , grated
- Combine all the ingredients for the paste adding very little water and make a smooth paste.
- Place each spinach leaf on a flat surface with the greener side facing down, the pointer side facing towards you and the broader/heart side facing up.
- Spread about a tablespoon of the gram flour paste evenly on the surface of the spinach. Fold the pointer side towards the inside half way through and press it gently to get stuck on the leaf. Gently fold the left and the right sides till towards their centre.
- Now roll them into a log lengthwise and seal the edges together with the gram flour mixture. Keep aside.
- Continue the same process with the other spinach leaves. Preheat a steamer with 3 cups of water at the bottom.
- Grease the steamer plates with oil and place the spinach rolls into the steamer plates. Cover the steamer and steam for 15 minutes on high heat. Turn off heat; remove the steamer pates from the steamer and allow them to cool for ten minutes.
- Once cooled, cut the spinach logs into sizes of half an inch and keep aside.
- The patras will look like pinwheels with layers of green spinach and yellow gram flour.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wide sauté pan on medium heat; add the sesame seeds, cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Transfer the steamed patras into the pan and gently stir them into the seasoning. Turn off heat and arrange the patras back into the platter.
- Garnish with freshly grated coconut and serve.