12 October, 2017
3 cups flour, 1 cup ghee, solidified, 3-4 ice cubes, 4 cups water, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 tsp food colour, yellow, 1 kg ghee for deep frying
For the syrup:
1 and 1/2 cups sugar, 1 cup water, For topping, 1 tsp powdered cardamom, 1 Tbsp chopped almonds & pistachios, 1 Tbsp milk in which 1/2 tsp saffron has been rubbed in silver foil
- Prepare sugar syrup of 1 thread consistency.
- Take solidified ghee in a large wide bowl. Taking one ice cube at a time.Rub the ghee vigorously. Take more ice cubes as required, till ghee becomes very white.
- Add milk, flour and a cup of water. Mix to make smooth batter.
- Dissolve colour in some water and add this to the batter. Add more water if required. Batter should be fairly thin (it should run off easily when poured from a spoon).
- Take an aluminium or steel cylindrical container (do not use lid). The height should be at least 12″ and diameter 5-6″. Fill the container half with ghee. Heat it.
- When the ghee is smoky hot, take a 50 ml glass full of batter. Pour in centre of ghee, slowly in one continuous threadlike stream. Allow foam to settle. Pour one more glassful in the hole formed in centre.
- When foam settles again, loosen ghewar with an iron skewer inserted in hole. Lift carefully, at a slant, and place on wire mesh to drain. Keep the hot syrup in a wide flat bottomed container to fit in ghevar. Dip ghevar in it, and remove, keep aside on mesh to drain excess syrup.
- Alternatively, pour some syrup evenly all over, keeping ghevar in a mesh placed over a container. Cool a little, top with silver foil.
- Splash a few drops of saffron milk, sprinkle some chopped dry fruit and a few pinches of cardamom powder.